I find that in going back to basic High School Art Class lessons is greatly helpful in choosing colors. Did you ever make up a color wheel? If so, you know that complimentary colors are opposite each other, analogous (or harmonious colors) are next to each other, and monochromatic colors are actually one color with various amounts of tint or shade.
Go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_wheel#Analogous_color_scheme for more details.
To give you a better idea of how this concept is applied, for a winter wedding, here are some examples:
complimentary scheme: pomegranate red, chartreuse & gold gilt (add a little chocolate brown for depth)
analogous scheme: lavender (purple), pale blue (blue) & white w/ silver accents
monochromatic scheme: royal purple, violet, periwinkle
Your colors can also be an expression of you, the season or a favorite hobby. An autumn wedding just bekons for tints of orange. You may grow sunflowers, so choose various shades of yellow. Sports fans may quietly incorporate team colors. There are so many places to gain inspiration.
A Planner can help you decide how much to use of your chosen colors, and where to utilize them.
Here is an example of monochomatic pinks.
- Sometimes the Little Gifts are the Most Surprising
December 29, 2010
- Who Pays for What at the Wedding? Hints and Tips to Help your Budget
June 2, 2010
- EXPO for GREAT vendors, discounts and fashion/design ideas!
March 26, 2010
- Get Married on a Weekday to Get Special Options!
March 5, 2009
- Top of the Tower- A Gorgeous Terrace Reception Location
September 8, 2008
- Oh, Sweet, Sweet Chocolate; Wedding Favors to Sink Your Teeth Into
September 7, 2008
- Step Out of Trouble with Step Relatives-Ceremony & Reception Seating
July 9, 2008
- Managing a Reception Menu
February 1, 2008
- Choosing Colors; A Basic Guide
September 5, 2007
- It's Good to be Green.
August 23, 2007
- Budget Basics for the Newly Engaged.
July 23, 2007
- A Little Blue? It's Expected on Your Wedding Day.
July 14, 2007
- Hints and Tips as Bridal Expo Season Approaches
June 23, 2007
- A Message to the Groom: How Does the Groom Stand Out on the Wedding Day?
June 19, 2007
- Eco-friendly, "Green" Weddings & Events are on the Rise
June 19, 2007
- Seasonal Themes & Color Trends; How to Make Them Work for You
April 3, 2007
- Where, Oh Where Will the Wedding Be?; Last Minute Location Hunting
February 5, 2007
- Kids are Guests Too.
January 23, 2007
- Color, Fashion and Glamour
September 30, 2006
- Bangles, Beads and Precious Stones; Jewelry & Accessories
July 10, 2006
- Mini-Maid Meltdown; Happiness tips for Flower Girls
June 20, 2006
- Dress for Less; Brides on a Budget
May 22, 2006
- Leaning Tower of Cake
April 8, 2006
- To Plan, or Not to Plan.
January 18, 2006
- White Roses for Tears of Joy.
January 3, 2006